With over 80 years’ experience, we are proud to be internationally recognised as a market leader for AC generators and control systems.
G & M Tex gensets operate all around the world, providing our customers with reliable AC power in diverse environments and numerous applications. We supply all types of marine vessels including superyachts and some of the most iconic warships currently in service, and design and manufacture bespoke generators for offshore environments such as floating docks, oil and gas platforms and windfarms.
As a world-renowned supplier of critical backup power systems, we also supply utility companies, data centres, major airports, government agencies, sports stadia and the healthcare industry.
We are here to offer the best possible solutions for your design briefs. We carefully consider every specification so that we can offer the optimum products for the application. We carry out the entire process with the highest precision and attention to detail, ensuring technical excellence for every one of our Customers.
We value the craft of engineering, priding ourselves on the quality of our designs and our products.
The Evolution of G & M Tex
1938 – The Green Ace Motor Company was incorporated in 1938, beginning the journey for G & M. During the 1980’s, G & M was recognised as the leading UK manufacturer of Marine Diesel Generators competing directly with the USA’s Onan brand at the time. The Company had since been registered as G & M Power Plant Ltd.
2002 – Countryman Power Ltd, a leading manufacturer of land based generators, was acquired to expand the customer base.
2015 – In recent years, we have invested in new facilities offering us ideal and specialist working conditions. In 2015, G & M was incorporated by Tex Holdings PLC allowing us to join forces with other engineering companies who are also a part of Tex. G & M Tex is proudly part of the Tex Holdings PLC.
- Engineering and technical excellence.
- A commitment to quality.
- Practical and cost-effective engineering solutions.
- Reliability, durability and consistency of products.
- Exceptional aftersales support with servicing and spares.
We are geared towards bespoke, optimised design and innovative solutions as well as being self-sufficient in mechanical and electrical design. We can supply our clients with various CAD visuals, drawing and schematics. Our design skills are easily transferred from bespoke generators to other forms of driven equipment. Here is an idea of some of the other things we can design in house:
- General arrangement and installation drawings
- Base frames and AVM’s
- Attenuation and acoustic enclosures/containers
- d-SMART control and monitoring systems
- Exhaust, fuel, lubrication and cooling systems
- Integral fuel tanks
- Synchronising controls and switchboards
- Wiring schematics
Our state of the art facilities allow us to take our expertise to the next level. We have an amazing range of technology such as:
- Engineering, fabrication and paint shop
- Mechanical and electrical assembly
- 5 tonnes per piece fabrication capacity
- Test capability to 3300kWe (4125kVA)
- Enhanced test equipment for variable speed generators
- Testing for diesel electric propulsion generators
- Sufficient air flow for testing radiator cooled sets 4125kVa
- 40 tonnes handling capacity
- Test capability for natural gas and dual fuel engines
We have a skilled team of experienced welders coded to BS EN 9606-1, working with both sectional pieces and flat sheet in MIG, TIG, brazing and plasma cutting, including all types of fabrications in various metals including carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminium and brass/bronze. Fuel tanks are pressure tested in accordance with BS799 Pt5 2010 and all carbon steel is shot blasted to ISO8505-1 before fabrication.
We have complete capability covering preparation, painting and finishing of all components, including a variety of techniques and coatings. We regularly have to meet stringent requirements including military specifications, Awlgrip Super Yacht finishing and EN ISO12944 offshore specifications.
Control panels are assembled in-house by our experienced and qualified panel builders using internally produced designs and wiring schematics. IP65 components are used as appropriate to ensure suitability of purpose.
We are not obligated to a specific engine or alternator manufacturer, thereby allowing our customers the choice of brands. This flexibility is simply not available from mainstream mass producers of generators. Our supply chain includes, but is not limited to the following brands:
- CGT Stamford
- Leroy Somer
- Marelli Motori
- Mecc Alte
This branding flexibility, allows our Customers the opportunity to choose products whilst considering:
- Commonality with existing equipment
- Local support conditions
- Combinations to suit requirements
- Air flows & acoustic values
- Engine cylinder configurations
- Weight consideration
- Dimensional constraints
- Emission parameters
- Torsional and vibration factors
- Heat rejection performance
- Prevailing ambient conditions
“Digital Self Monitoring And Remote Technology.” d-SMART is not a product – it is a control protocol which can be adapted by our Electrical Designers to suit individual Customer requirements. It can be based on a variety of processors e.g. ComAp, Deif, Deep Sea and so forth. It can be designed to offer any of the following services:
- Control, monitoring and reporting on all the essential generator functions
- Harbour Mode (safety enabled) and Emergency Mode (safety disabled)
- Full capability to interface with CanBus enabled prime movers
- Performance History Logging
- Fault Diagnostics
- Intuitive Engine Interrogation
- LCD Scrolling Screen Displays
- RS232/RS485 Protocols including ModBus
- Ethernet Capability over secure Networks
Standards, Inspection and Testing
We are an ISO9001:2015 and ISO1400:2015 BSI accredited company and all procedures and the testing of engines, alternators and control systems are carried out in accordance with those accreditations. G&M Tex is formally recommended for the design, sale, manufacture, test, installation and service of power generation equipment for marine, industrial and military applications.
Generators can be designed, built and tested to the following standards:
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
- Bureau Veritas (BV)
- China Classification Society (CCS)
- Det Norske Veritas (DNV)
- Germanischer Lloyds (GL)
- Hellenic Register of Shipping (HRS)
- Italian Register of Shipping (RINA)
- Korean Register of Shipping (KRS)
- Lloyds Register of Shipping (LR)
- Military and commercial standards
- MoD (UK) Defence Standards (DEFSTAN)
- NATO Standards (NATO)
- NHS Trust HTM requirements
- Russian Register of Shipping (RRS)
- US Military Specifications (MILSPEC)
- WIMES/National Grid applications
Testing and presentation of witness tests meet various requirements, and tests can be carried out at unity and lagging power factor loads including complete transient load test analysis and results when necessary. We are fully registered as a supplier on the Utilities Vendor Database for a full range of product/service categories.
In-house test facilities:
- Resistive/reactive load banks to 3300kWe (4125kVA)
- 380V to 690V capability
- 50Hz or 60Hz frequencies
- Vibration/accelerometer testing
- Various engine cooling configurations are catered for including radiator cooled, keel or box cooled via custom made test rigs, and heat exchanger cooled via water tank and cooling towers
- HV testing, EMC analysis and shock testing are also available for military, commercial and seismic considerations